Saturday, February 07, 2009

Melbourne fries - 46.4 degrees C = 115.52 F

It's a new all-time temperature record today in Melbourne after the hottest January week last week with three days over 43. Andrew Bolt (Herald Sun climate change denier), check your brain. A day over 100 F used to be a one out of the box when I was a kid, but climate change is bearing down on us like the riders of the Apocalypse, beating all predictions with its speed. Many garden plants are toast. Instead of showers,we favour baths,with the kept water doled out to the garden. We dunk the dogs in this to keep them sane. Four major bushfires are out of control around the state with wild northerly winds ripping loose dead leaves and embers. Blogger's not letting me upload images again - seems to be a regular feature these days - so sit tight and I'll post some when I can.

xJen

5 comments:

Mike said...

Surprisingly, I coped better today than I did last week.
Shopping, I believe, is the key.

Jen Jewel Brown said...

I'm trying to stay away from shops although their air con and shiny items promising to turn one into Kate Winslet at the drop of a dress size are extremely seductive. Also not coping so well after trying to take in the terrible bushfire updates with 76 dead at last count. BTW I will sponsor you $10 Mike for your MS ride. How can I do that?

xJen

Anonymous said...

Needless to say I am shocked with the news coming out of Vic. Hope you are staying safe.

Jen Jewel Brown said...

We're safe in close to the city at present, but this is a climate charge alarm and it's ring at full volume. Where do you live Maetkitso?

Anonymous said...

I'm in Sydney, Jen. It's about 20 degrees and raining. We had a fire in the valley that we live atop a couple of weeks ago. It took two days to put out and the wind very kindly turned away from us though quite a few other homes on the other side were threatened. I have to say though that it was nothing like what you are experiencing.