Tuesday, May 20, 2008

corvids and astral travel

Corvids: Here's the tail of the post I put on the super blog of Scaughtfive, who lives in Seattle.

http://thelastrung.blogspot.com/2008/05/one-hundred-flowers.html

'Would like to be in Seattle tonight; a raven sitting on a wire feeling notes singing through her feet in the darkish wind.'

He replied, under my post Tibet: no threat

'Know what? There are two rather large crows that frequently sit on the telephone wires in front of our house. They groom each other and talk at me while I play guitar on the front porch, watching the rain. Maybe yer already here?'

Perhaps you're right Scaught, perhaps I am that creature in my astral travels. Certainly I believe in such things. I tried astral travel when I was a teenager and it works. When you're asleep the subconscious, so much more sure than the conscious, is very active.

And I found this:

"Today the crow is ascendant — suburbia, a kind of urban savanna with both grass and trees, has created perfect crow habitat. Ravens, who favor thick forests and cliff edges, are in decline. In Seattle alone, from 1991 to 1999 more than 200,000 acres of forest was converted into forested urban areas and lawns, prime crow habitat. As young crows from suburbia have moved into the city, Marzluff has documented new crow behavior — crows nesting on urban rooftops, including the KING-TV headquarters and The Seattle Times building, and behind the gargoyles of the University of Washington's Suzzallo Library.

In eras past, native Northwest tribes revered the raven as "creator, trickster and messenger." In the 21st century, crows inspire the names of rock bands (Black Crowes, Counting Crows), and in urban Seattle, a group of urban street people call themselves the 'Tribe of Crow.' "

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/
entertainment/2002575500_crows23.html

In Melbourne people often confuse the more common raven with the crow.

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/crows_
ravens.htm

2 comments:

ScaughtFive said...

Wow Jen Jewel! Everything has been crows since you left that comment on my blaughie. This weekend was extraordinarlly hot for our little fishing village. We set up a sprinkler for our two crows but all over town they were absolutely craving water. One crow challenged my housemate Heather and I at the hardware store, totally unwilling to get out of the road before it got every last drop of sticky yuck out of a crushed coke bottle. All over everywhere they tried to cool themselves off with that little smile they make. I thought of you, I did.

BTW Nice Peter Greenie Fleetwood Mac addition to yer playlist. He and Danny Kirwan inspired me to buy Ms. Popcicle, my Les Paul Standard.

Jen Jewel Brown said...

Great to see you here Scaught. Now I am listening to what I think are ravens that like to hustle and hide in some polar-like dense tree that leans over the driveway of this brick duplex in rough and ready Heidelberg West, sometimes known as Somaliberg due to our migrant influx. It's peaceful when the local kids aren't on the warpath. They would probably love to join rockthrowers in South Africa, or scuttling gangs of boys pushing roughly into manhood in East Timor. I am trying to see if the black ones go "ar ar ar arrrr" which probably means it's an Australian raven. I will aslo look to see if the base of a fallen feather is grey to confirm this. The kids found one that couldn't fly two years ago. I picked it up and took oit to a local vet. She would save it if she could, put it down kindly if not. The bird was calm and cooperative. So were the kids.

I bet you're a good player ...Peter Green is terrific. Always loved that track. If I could find it, I'd add Wedding Cake Island by Midnight Oil. It was on an early EP of theirs - a beautiful surf instrumental. Good musos in that band.